One of the last sessions on Sunday will be a panel titled "Israeli Comics Today", which will be held in Room 2 at 3:30 PM.
Below is the description
Israel has a small but burgeoning comics culture, which has gained international notice through the works of the Actus Tragicus group and the break-out success of cartoonist Rutu Modan. Today, the Israeli Cartoon Museum in Holon exhibits work by Israeli and international artists, and a growing number of artists and publishers are working to cultivate the Israeli comics industry. Nimrod Reshef, cartoonist and spokesman for the Israeli Cartoonists Association, will discuss his work publishing comics for children and older readers in Israel, joined in conversation by Keren Katz and Alina Gorban, Israeli artists currently living and working in the US. Moderated by Karen Green (Graphic Novels Librarian, Columbia University).**********************
In addition to the above panel, there will be several creators of Jewish comic stories / art who will be in attendance at the Festival itself (exhibitor tables, other panels) including the following :
* Abrams ComicArts - publisher of the Hereville books, the English edition of Pascal Croci's Auschwitz, Yiddiskeit, and the forthcoming English edition of Boxer: The True Story of Holocaust Survivor Harry Haft by Reinhard Kleist
* Alison Bechdel - author-illustrator of the syndicated GBLT comic styrip Dykes to Watch Out For. Among the characters introduced in the strip were : Naomi, who came out as a bisexual Jew ; Thea, a Jewish lesbian with multiple sclerosis; and Stuart Goodman, a straight Jewish male who became involved with bisexual Sparrow Pidgeon and who had a child with her.
* Nick Bertozzi - co-illustrator of Houdini : The Handcuff King and illustrator of Jerusalem : A Family Portrait
* Drawn and Quarterly - publisher of Exit Wounds, Jamilti and Other Stories, The Golem's Mighty Swing, and Jerusalem : Chronicles from the Holy City
* Liana Finck - author-illustrator of A Bintel Brief : Love and Longing in Old New York
* First Second Books - publisher of Klezmer : Tales of the Wild East, the Rabbi's Cat books, and the Resistance series
* Drew Friedman - cartoonist who illustrated "What If Chris Rock Performed At A Bar Mitzvah?" (MAD Magazine #419) and "Marnin Rosenberg in 'Bad Luck with Women'" (National Lampoon - June 1987)
* Dean Haspiel - illustrator of the Harvey Pekar biography The Quitter and Jonathan Ames' The Alcoholic
* Miriam Katin - author-illustrator of We Are on Our Own and Letting It Go
* Keren Katz - contributor to the forthcoming book The Jewish Comix Anthology, volume 1
* Peter Kuper - author-illustrator of the short biographical story "Promised Land"(Bleeding Heart #2), as well as the book-length autobiographical Stop Forgetting to Remember : The Autobiography of Walter Kurtz
* Seth Kushner - author of the soon-to-be-published autobiographical book Schmuck : A Graphic Novel
* NBM Publishing - publisher of the Jew in Communist Prague books, Brownsville, The Big Khan, and the Isaac the Pirate books
* Pantheon - publisher of the Maus books, Brooklyn Dreams, and The Jew of New York
* Art Spiegelman - author-illustrator of the Holocaust memoir Maus and a contributor to the forthcoming book The Jewish Comix Anthology, volume 1
* Fredrik Strömberg - author of Jewish Images in the Comics
* Seth Tobocman - illustrator of Portraits of Israelis and Palestinians : For My Parents and "The Serpent of State"
* Uncivilized Books - publisher of Pascin
* Eli Valley - outrageous political cartoonist whose work has appeared in The Forward
* Lior Zaltzman - cartoonist currently working on a 100+ page coming of age story that takes place in Tel Aviv